"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world" - Nelson Mandela
I AM NEW TO BROWN BUT NOT NEW TO TEACHING. IN FACT, THIS IS MY 12TH YEAR TEACHING. I WAS PREVIOUSLY TEACHING 3RD GRADE IN ADAMS12, AT SILVER CREEK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, AND LAST YEAR I TAUGHT JUST UP THE STREET AT EDISON ELEMENTARY. I HAVE MY MASTERS DEGREE IN ELEMENTARY EDUCATION FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO, WHERE I SPECIALIZED IN EDUCATIONAL GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT.
OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL, I ENJOY SPENDING TIME WITH MY FAMILY. I HAVE TWO ENERGETIC LITTLE BOYS, MILES (6) AND GEORGE (3.5), WHO KEEP ME ON MY TOES AND MAKE ME SMILE DAILY. AS A FAMILY WE LIKE TO TRAVEL AROUND COLORADO AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ALL THE ACTIVITIES THIS BEAUTIFUL STATE HAS TO OFFER. I LIKE TO READ, HIKE, SKI, GARDEN, AND DECORATE MY 100 YEAR OLD HIGHLANDS HOME.
My responsibilities as teacher are:
1. To treat each student with respect and care as an individual.
2. To provide all students with a safe and orderly classroom environment.
3. To consistently and fairly implement necessary rules and consequences.
4. To provide appropriate motivation for all students.
5. To provide time for all students to receive extra help when needed.
6. To teach all students the required content for Fourth grade (as outlined by the
Common Core State and DPS Curriculum).
Your responsibilities as a student are:
1. To treat everyone with respect and care as individuals.
2. To attend school regularly.
3. To cooperate and make good choices.
4. To study, complete homework, and turn in assignments on time.
5. To ask questions and come in for extra help when needed.
Mrs. Maxfield’s Class Behavior Plan
I will be using a comprehensive, visual cueing system to help monitor daily school behavior. During the first few days of school we will discuss as a class what it looks like and sounds like to show the learner profiles and IB attitudes at Brown. I will use a clip chart to help make students' aware and responsible for their choices in school. Green is our daily goal! Please discuss your child's choices and color each day. We will write and define our rules together on a chart and refer to them frequently throughout the year.
The IB Learner Profile
The learner profile recognizes the whole student as a lifelong learner by being:
8:55 Morning Meeting and Calendar
9:10 Whole Group Literacy
11:00 Guided Reading, Enrichment, Intervention
12:10 Lunch/ Recess
3:00 Inquiry into Social Studies & Science/ IB
3:35 End of Day Meeting and Pack-Up